6 Steps to Make Your Own Tempe (Tempe) - Eating Tempe has become very missed by some Indonesians who live abroad, but to get tempe abroad is not easy because in addition to the limited market segment in certain communities, as well as the lack of desire of Indonesians themselves to introduce dishes from Java. The difference with Rustono, Javanese men living in Japan are determined to introduce Tempe to the whole world, such as Japanese and European people who have introduced them to the culinary world
Actually, to make Tempe very easy, you only need 100% soybeans and a starter, you can make it in your kitchen and this time I want to share about how to make Tempe in 6 steps. But before we begin, there are some important parameters in making tempeh
- The media content is moist or water, the time period in boiling to get ready for inoculation. Soybean, the main and most common ingredient for Tempe, takes 45 to 60 minutes
- Tempe starter (Tempe Yeast), Using too much and the number of starters that are inadequate in myceliolysis or decaying Tempe. The safest way is to only follow the recommendations of the starter maker.
- Incubation Temperature, During the first ten hours, incubation at 31 to 33 Celsius or 88 to 91 F is safe. For the next six hours, the temperature is around 28 C or 82 F good. As soon as the substrate begins to produce its own heat (the temperature inside the incubator starts to rise) or some condensation begins, the heating source must be removed. Rhizopus continues to grow at temperatures below 20 C or 64 F but grows at a slower pace. In general, Tempe is cooked in 24 to 30 hours. The speed of fermentation is determined by the incubation temperature. The incubation temperature above 40 degrees C and above 25 degrees C will not produce good Tempe. Temperature 37 - 38 degrees C will produce
Tempe within 22 hours; temperatures of 28-30 degrees C will take up to 48 hours to produce Tempe.
How to make :
- Soak Soybeans, Clean And Soak Soybeans in clean water for about 8-10 hours or overnight
- Breaking soybeans, Separating soybeans from the skin, then Stir slowly causing the stomach to rise to the surface, and then pour water and hull into the filter. Add fresh water and repeat until part of the stomach is removed. Don't worry if several hulls remain installed. After that, break the soybeans into two parts. But if you want to hurry, you can use a wheat mill, this wheat mill can be bought on the internet for less than $ 100. With Family Grain Mill, you can divide 500 g of soybeans in a few minutes.
- Soybean Cooking, Put the beans in the cooking pot and water to cover the soybeans and cook for 30 minutes. when cooking and foam gather, release. Dry the water and dry the soybeans by continuing to heat it in a pan over medium heat for several minutes and until the beans are dry. Let the soybeans cool to below 35 ° C.
- Cooling, Move the dried beans to a large place (eg tray for baking) to cool, leave for a few moments. During this process, avoid touching the beans by hand, use a clean tool instead.
- Inject Soybeans with Tempe Starter (Tempeh yeast), When the soybeans are dry and cold at 35 C, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of starter Tempe. Mix with a clean spoon for regarding one minute to distribute the Tempe starter equally. It is very important to mix the Tempe starter very well: this reduces the risk of decay and fermentation will be faster.
- Incubating, Take 2 plastic bags 18 x 28 cm or the other size you want and puncture them with holes at a distance of about 1 cm with thick but sharp needles. Normal needles are too thin, you need fatty needles or small nails (0.6 mm in diameter). This will make the mold breathe.
Divide the soybeans into two bags and close them. Press flat, ensuring that the total thickness of the beans reaches 3 cm. Place the beans packed in an incubator at 30 ° C or in a warm place for about 36-48 hours during tempeh fermentation. Then the container must be completely filled with white mycelium and all the contents can be removed as a whole.
That's it, now you have homemade tempeh ...